HEAD Bikes SA Brand Ambassador
My name is Aaron Heyneke. I was born at the beginning of July in 2002 in Sunward Park, Boksburg. I am currently a Grade 10 learner at Jeppe High School for Boys and, at the moment, when I finish school I would like to study Architecture.
I am both passionate and competitive when it comes to my chosen sport of mountain biking. I also do a bit of road cycling when I have the opportunity. I was riding bicycles without any side-wheels at the age of two and I haven’t stopped since.
I started taking part in races in 2016 and noticed that I was regularly making the podium for my age group. I decided then to take it more seriously and put more time and effort into my riding and I haven’t looked back since. My main focus has been XCO, but I also enjoy taking part in marathon rides. My cycling role models are Nino Shurter and Pieter Sagan.
A list of my achievements includes:
- Member of the Gauteng Province team at the 2017 Spur Series National Championships held at Bekker School, where I won both the Youth 15 inter-schools race (starting at the back as Jeppe was not seeded for the race) and the Youth 15 boys’ race.
- Second Place in the 2017 25km 947 MTB race
- First Place in the 2017 34km Macsteel National MTB Classic at Carnival City
- Winning the 22km Hollard Juma for three years in a row (2016, 2017, 2018)
- Winning the 25km Emperors Palace Classic for two years in a row (2017, 2018)
- Third place at the 2018 SA XCO championships
- Currently a race leader in the Gauteng Youth 16 Spur Series for Jeppe High School for Boys with first place wins in all my races this year. I’m looking forward to the finals and, hopefully, 2018 Nationals.